Elevate is a next generation medical device company. Our team combines expertise from decades in orthopedic bracing with the rapid product design process born in the tech industry. With our unique approach, we put patients first, while developing products in a fraction of the time compared to traditional medical device companies.
We’re looking for a highly motivated, multifaceted Industrial Design Intern for Summer 2021 to join our team of passionate designers, engineers, and doers. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to work on future products that will change the perception of healthcare products in the orthopedic industry.
As an Industrial Design Intern, you will function as a full-time industrial designer and play a key role in contributing to the development of one or more products in Elevate’s product line, with an emphasis on intuitive design, aesthetics, and function. Elevate is a small and nimble company, and expects our team to engage in frequent multi-disciplinary collaboration, meaning you may wear many hats beyond just industrial design. More specifically you will:
- Be involved in areas of work including Industrial/Product Design, CAD Sculpting, Human Factors, DFM (Design for Manufacturing), Prototyping, CMF (color, material, finish)
- Work closely with cross-functional teams (Engineering, Operations, Quality, Marketing) to provide feedback on product to ID / CMF goals
- Analyze current design trends in the market and other related fields
- Illustrate ideas through sketches, develop designs through CAD and rendering software, and build physical prototypes
- Identify complex design problems such as need/size/cost of a product, anticipate issues, develop/evaluate/implement solutions
- Participate in defining overall product vision, especially in form factor and CMF
- May require ~10% travel within California
- Spend 10% of your time on a moonshot idea - use your creativity and innovation and present to the team your concept!
- CAD - Proficiency in at least one surfacing 3D CAD application (Rhino, Blender, Ansys or similar) and rendering software (Keyshot, Octane, or Redshift)
- Creativity - Ability to integrate existing technologies into new products in an innovative way
- Human factors - Aptitude of intentional design that is in touch with users
- Mechanical skills - Understanding of how products are engineered and manufactured
- Working towards a Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Architecture, or Design-related equivalent
- This position may require being on-site at our office in San Diego, CA or San Francisco, CA depending on the changing global health situation.
Elevate Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizen ship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.